Friday, January 31, 2020

5A - Identifying Local Opportunities

Identifying Local Opportunities 

TitleThe battle over Lake 0 levels: Toxic algae, water supplies at forefront 


This article is about a local debate as to how high to keep the water in Lake Okeechobee. Lake Okeechobee plays a big role in water supply, but also produces an algae that is said to be toxic. Some argue that keeping the water levels in the lake lower will prevent the toxic algae from growing, while others predict that a low lake may result in a threat to water supplies for the county I live in, Palm Beach County. 

The problem presented in the article involves the tradeoffs between keeping water levels in the lake low and stopping the algae from growing, but also threatening water supplies in Palm Beach County. 

This problem has a widespread effect on everyone living in the surrounding areas of the lake. 


Title: Here is a list of hot traffic zones during Super Bowl LIV week


This article is in regard to the upcoming NFL Super Bowl, happening in Miami on February 2nd. The Super Bowl has attracted thousands of out-of-town football fans to travel to Miami, resulting in street closures. 

The problem presented in this article is that the traffic in Miami is expected to be at an all-time high because of this massive sporting event. Road closures are already in effect to control the flow of the traffic. 

Local residents are most affected by this problem. They will face heavy traffic jams all weekend. 


Title: Business owners prepare for end of snowbird season


This article is about the effects of snowbirds coming to Florida during the Winter season.

This article presents several problems. For one, it mentions that reservations for restaurants can be up to two weeks during the season time when snowbirds are visiting from the North. Also, the article mentions that there were 15,000 more drivers on I-95 in March compared to September. This causes a major difference in travel times on the roads. 

Local residents are greatly affected by this. During the winter months, it may take one double the amount of time to travel than during the summer months. Also, it is hard to find entertainment that is not overcrowded during these months. 


Title: The future of Palm Beach County school crowding: Will kids be elbow-to-elbow in 5 years? 


This article goes over the growing problem of schools becoming increasingly over-populated and the distribution of the student population.

This article presents the problem of overcrowded schools in Palm Beach County. The distribution amongst the schools in the county is not even, as families are all going to specific regions and over-populating those regions. The schools in those regions are experiencing major overcrowding. 

School students are affected by this problem. With schools becoming overcrowded, it is limiting the amount of interaction between individual students and teachers and could result in hindering their learning experience. 


Title: Railroad crossing-arm problems are gumming up traffic from Miami to West Palm Beach


This article is about the effects that malfunctioning railroads are having on locals in the Miami-Dade and West Palm Beach areas.

This article brings to light the problem of malfunctioning railroad crossing arms and the effects that the problem is having on traffic. I have experienced first-hand the malfunctioning of local railroad track arms, which results in cars being backed up for miles. 

Local drivers are affected by the malfunctioning of the railroad crossing arms. I have personally been affected by this matter, being late to work one day because of it. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jacob,

    I really liked these posts, especially the first two. Traffic in Miami is already a nightmare, I can only imagine how it's going to be during Super Bowl. I wonder if the locals are going or how they're going to be dealing with the traffic. I already know a bunch of people going down there and I just did not want to deal with that. I also liked your article about the over crowding in schools, I wonder what they are going to do about that issue in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacob,
    I think the article about the traffic in Miami is a great article that describes something that's already been a major problem. We all know the traffic in Miami is terrible and with the Super Bowl in town now, the traffic will be unbearable. I think that the only way to alleviate that traffic though would be to expand lanes the lanes even more and add in new roads, which would cost a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jacob! I was super interested to see that you chose the Miami Herald as your local newspaper, because I am also from south Florida, so many of these issues applied to me in some way or another. The second article was actually super interesting to read, because I recently traveled to the Hard Rock stadium in Miami to watch the Orange Bowl, so I recently experienced a few traffic issues similar to these personally!

    ReplyDelete